Forest and field, sun and wind and sky, earth and water, all speak the same silent language, reminding the monk that he is here to develop like the things that grow all around him. —Thomas Merton
For the month of December, we turn our attention to the principle of kinship with creation, as found in the Monk Manifesto:
4. I commit to cultivating awareness of my kinship with creation and a healthy asceticism by discerning my use of energy and things, letting go of what does not help nature to flourish.
The Abbey will be hosting a monthly Photo Party and Poetry Party on this theme as well.
- In this month of December, when the northern hemisphere moves into a season of darkness and rest, how might we really listen to the wisdom of nature for the rhythm of our own lives?
- What is it time to release to make way for more flourishing?
- How might you live more simply on this beautiful earth?
- What are the ways you remember that you are kindred with creation?