3:00-8:00 pm Ireland/UK time on Saturday, April 17, 2021
7 am-12 noon Pacific / 10 am–3 pm Eastern time
(Two 2-hour Zoom sessions with 1-hour break in the middle)
Harriet Tubman, most prominent for her work on the “Underground Railroad,” is not prominently held up as the Public Mystic she was, nor is she recognized for the emotional freedom it took for her to free enslaved people within her reach along the Underground Railroad and other feats of justice.
Howard Thurman, another Public Mystic, whose grandmother was once enslaved, started his life under humble circumstances. Through the years, influenced by his grandmother, he also developed an internal freedom and became a renowned scholar and academic, prominent for his writing of “Jesus and the Disinherited.” Therein Thurman describes Jesus as one of the marginalized of his time, who found his internal emancipation as a son of God, and attempted throughout his short time on earth to teach his peers this emotional freedom as well.
This retreat will use stories and ideas from the two HT’s, in a spacious environment, to help us on the contemplative journey to Emotional Freedom and self-differentiation.
We will record the session and make it available on our course platform for those registered but encourage you, if possible, to join us live.
Terms and Conditions
- No refunds are provided for online program registrations. Please consider your purchase carefully and review the many free materials we have on our website to make sure the program will be a good fit or get in touch with any questions.
- You will have access to all the program materials for the lifetime of this website.
- The registration fee is per person; we ask that you honor our work by not sharing the program materials with others who are not enrolled.
- All materials presented in our online programs are copyright. Please contact us for permission to quote in settings beyond the program.
- All video webinars and Zoom gatherings are recorded. These videos are made available to registered participants and may also be included in future versions of the program including self-study. If you choose to speak during a recorded gathering, you are giving us your consent to record that contribution. If you prefer not to be seen or heard, you can of course switch off or mute your camera or microphone at any time. Chat sessions are recorded and posted as well. Participation in the chat function is also giving consent to their recording. Breakout groups are never recorded.
- If you choose a payment plan and stop payment before fulfilling the commitment without contacting us to make other arrangements, your access to the program will be removed.
- All fees include VAT where applicable.
About the Presenter
Therese Taylor-Stinson is an ordained deacon and ruling elder in the PCUSA, who last served as Liaison for Race and Reconciliation on National Capital Presbytery’s Mission Coordinating Committee. She also served National Capital Presbytery from 2015-2018 as Moderator—a graduating position over 3-1/2 years. A practicing spiritual director for more than 15 years, Therese is the Founding Managing Member of the Spiritual Directors of Color (SDC) Network, Ltd. An author and editor, she has participated in the publication of three books from the SDC Network: Embodied Spirits: Stories of Spiritual Directors of Color; Ain't Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Around: Stories of Contemplation and Justice, and Kaleidoscope: Broadening the Pallete in the Art of Spiritual Direction. Therese is also a certified Emotional Emancipation Circle Facilitator by the Community Healing Network, Inc., and the Association of Black Psychologists.