This past autumn, Abbey of the Arts launched a new initiative – the Earth Monastery Project – as a way of encouraging creative visions for nourishing an earth-cherishing consciousness.
We had a marvelous batch of applicants for this first round and John and I along with Wisdom Council members Cheryl, Stacy, and Richard, truly had a difficult time discerning who should receive our first grants.
After much prayerful consideration, we are pleased to announce the winners:
- Martha Brunell and the Monarch Waystation Project creating an oasis in northern Illinois “for our dwindling monarchs to eat, rest, and lay eggs and for other wildlife to thrive.”
- Terri Stewart and the Youth Chaplaincy Coalition Garden Box Project creating a mentoring and gardening project for youth affected by incarceration in Seattle’s most impoverished zip code.
- Candice Tritch & Andrew Janssen and the Dance Alchemy Project creating a “collaborative dance documentary that shows a universal respect for the Earth and desire for peace on it.”
More details will be shared as their projects unfold and next summer each person will provide a full report to our community so we can share in their vision and inspiration. For now, we are thrilled to partner with such amazing folks dedicated to cultivating a vision of the earth as our primary monastery.
There were many other proposals submitted worthy of funding, so it was a real challenge and privilege to discern where to channel our funds.
The next round of applications will be accepted from March 1-April 30, 2014 for funding in the second half of 2014.
How can you support the Earth Monastery Project?
- Help spread the word and encourage those in your community to apply!
- Consider making a donation to the Earth Monastery Project –
- If you make purchases through Amazon.com, use this affiliate link Amazon Home Page and all proceeds will go directly to this fund. This is a simple way to support us while doing your Christmas shopping!