If you follow along at the Abbey, you know that over the last six months we have had a great Monk in the World guest post series from fellow monks, authors, bloggers. It has been a gift to read how ordinary people are living lives of depth and meaning in the midst of the challenges of real life.
I have been pondering lately how many talented writers and artists there are in this Abbey community, and so starting in January, we are opening up the series to submissions from YOU. The reflection will be included in our weekly newsletter which goes out to 8000 subscribers.
- Please click this link to read a selection of the posts and get a feel for the tone and quality.
- Submit your own post of 750-1000 words on the theme of “How do I live as a monk in the world? How do I bring contemplative presence to my work and family?” It works best if you focus your reflection on one aspect of your life or a practice you have, or you might reflect on how someone from the monastic tradition has inspired you. Alternatively, you are welcome to submit a poem on this theme.
- Please include a head shot and brief bio (50 words max). You are welcome to include 1-2 additional images if they help to illustrate your reflection in meaningful ways. Please make sure the file size of each the images is smaller than 1MB.
- We will be accepting submissions between now and January 31st for the first half of 2014. We reserve the right to make edits to the content as needed (or to request you to make edits) and submitting your reflection does not guarantee publication on the Abbey blog, but we will do our best to include as many of you as possible.
- Email Christine by January 31st with your submission and include the reflection pasted into the body of your email and attach your photo(s).
- We will try to be back in touch with you within two weeks of your submission to let you know if edits are needed and/or when we have scheduled your post to appear.