Today's stop on the Virtual Book Tour is at Faith Squared, where the lovely Liz Rasmussen interviews me and also is hosting a book giveaway if you leave a comment there before this Wednesday, May 29th:
Christine: When I first started writing my blog, I loved the ability to post images to accompany the reflections I had written. Somehow, the combination of word and image together seemed to express more than just one or the other.
My training in the arts comes mainly from the field of the expressive arts, which engages the arts for healing and transformation, rather than trying to create a beautiful product. One of the fundamental principles of the expressive arts is what is known as multi-modal exploration. It recognizes that there is a deeper kind of wisdom that comes from creating a piece of visual art, then writing about it, and then perhaps dancing from the images. Moving from language to language reveals new insights that might not happen with just one art form. This can happen in any order, the important part is engaging multiple ways of creating.
It calls to mind for me the ancient monks who labored over the illuminated manuscripts and writing the sacred texts of scripture, but adding many design elements, flourishes, and images to enhance what they were expressing. This has been my experience – that my writing is deepened and enhanced by my engagement with the visual art form of photography, allowing me to see the world in different ways than through words alone.
Previous Virtual Book Tour Stops:
- "Tending the Moments" Guest post by Christine at June Mears Driedger
- Interview with Christine at Always We Begin Again
- "Quieting the Mind through Contemplative Photography" Guest post by Christine at A Photographic Sage
- Book Review at GodSpace by Christine Sine
- Book Review at A Photographic Sage by Patricia Turner
- Book Review at Sense of the Faithful by Peg Conway
- "Contemplative Photography in a Time-Obsessed Culture" Guest post by Christine at Expressive Prayer
- "Planning a Personal Retreat" Guest post by Christine at A Sacred Journey
- Audio Interview at A Congruent Life
- "Bless the World with Your Eyes" Guest post by Christine at Consecrate the Day
- Interview at Catherine Anderson Studio
- "Learning to Trust What Shimmers" Guest post by Christine at Holy Ordinary
- "Seeing Ourselves with Eyes of the Heart" Guest post by Christine at Ronna Detrick
- Interview with Louise Gallagher at A Year of Rejoicing
- Interview with Tara Owens of Anam Cara
- Book Review at Holy Ordinary with Brent Bill
- Webinar on Cultivating Contemplation in Your Parish through Photography through Ave Maria Press
- Book Review at Melanged Magic with Evelyn Jackson
- "Practicing Resurrection through the Eyes of the Heart" Guest post by Christine at Anam Cara